Name:
Location: toronto, Canada

Ready to hit the world with everything i got.....

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Anecdote of the Jar continued

In my last blog I wrote about the poem "Anecdote of the Jar" by Wallace Stevens. I got to a certain point in the poem that I wasn't sure exactly what to say about the poem, I had nothing. Today I returned to the same poem and found a few more interesting points that I believe I missed.
Firslty I believe that Stevens wants to outline that everything has its story. A jar has a story, a hat has its own story, in general everything living or not has a story to be told about where they came from, where they have been and where they come to rest for the time being. I also realized that there is only one line that rhymes throughout the poem and this line is placed as close to the middle as possible. The poem has no set rhyme scheme and is pretty much free verse. However at the same time there is some structure to the poem as Tennessee is written only in the first and last lines and is the last word in both sentences. That line that rhymes in the middle of the poem as mentioned earlier serves as a point of reminder that this is a poem trying to get a point across. The beginning of the poem seemes to be somewhat loose and random then we get to the middle and it has order only to go back to its original random thought. Maybe not random but instead struggling. The jar can only be a symbol of humans and if so there is a defininte struggle between nature and this jar. Still with that rhyming line in the middle and the line after it, "And tall and a port in air" there seems to be a dependance between nature and manking. Its as if there's a constant struggle throughout the poem between the two worlds and a dependance that binds the two. The struggle that exists between nature and humans cannot be won by either. Nature as proven many times has the ability to be devastating and humans have the ability to cut down trees for wood to heat their homes (years ago). So who's winning?

2 Comments:

Blogger Dr J said...

Hi Chris,

Finally got around to addressing your request re Stevens on my blog. You can read my ramble here. Hope it helps. Cheers.

March 17, 2005 at 11:09 AM  
Blogger Navita said...

hi,
I read your previous blog on W.S, and the poem that you posted. The second time around, you did a good job of introducing the main elements in the poem, and the other things that you noticed, like the placement of Tennesee throughout the poem.
Good Work!

March 19, 2005 at 1:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home