Name:
Location: toronto, Canada

Ready to hit the world with everything i got.....

Friday, February 04, 2005

Dying Speech of an Old Philosopher

I strove with none, for none was worth my strife:
Nature I loved, and, next to Nature, Art:
I warmed both hands before the fire of Life;
It stinks; and I am ready to depart.

Walter Savage Landor

I've often wondered how is it that a person finds themselves? What I've come to conclude is that a person grows up by thinking about issues of pain, love, death etc. I believe its healthy to ponder such topics in depth and even exchange your ideas with a person close to you.
Last week I heard a person say that "in pain the soul refines itself". This phrase has ran through my mind countless times in the past week. This quote gives sense to why there is pain in life. So seldom do we reflect on anything when everything is going well. Like Rosita said about starting life anew, life seems to be brought in to context once again when our world is shaken. Our foundations are so fragile and life can really "stink" at times.
The first line of this poem struck me as odd. Was their nobody in this poets life that was worth strife? What kind of life can this be in which strife has been avoided? Is it even possible? It seems to have negative tone to it, as soon as life starts to stink departure is the way out. The poem according to my perspective has been written backwards. When we are ready to depart because "life stinks" is when we need to turn to nature and art as an inspiration to find a new birth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home